Saturday, June 10, 2017

My decision to go Paleo

On the 31st day after our last Whole30, I realized I sucked at Whole30. Why? Because I made Paleo Bread on the 30th day of our Whole30 not realizing that Paleo Bread is a "no-no" on Whole30. It's in the book. I probably read it when I first read the book a year and a
Paleo Blender Bread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFx_K4DlvTc
half ago, but had forgotten it. I stumbled across it on the 31st day while googling to find out if cassava flour is Whole30 compliant. One of the search hits was on what is mostly a banned foods list called "Sex With Your Pants On". I read it and what happened?

I got grumpy.

Why did I get grumpy? Couple of reasons - I was grumpy for blowing a big Whole30 rule on the last day, inadvertently or not. I was also grumpy over the rationale of why you shouldn't paleoify bread because it leads to "poor food choices". Here's the rub: why is it ok to slowly introduce regular foods back into my diet, but not paleo versions of these when paleo is clearly much healthier?  Pandora's Box was opened long ago. I know what bread tastes like and along with billions of other people in the world, we love to eat good-tasting bread. I don't have any gluten-related medical conditions, so that isn't an impetus for me to limit my bread intake. What is impetus is that most store-bought breads are processed so they are unhealthy. And according to Whole30 and others, grain is bad for you. So for the life of me, I can't understand why I should not eat paleo bread in place of regular bread? Because I would be even grumpier if I adopted a life of eating hamburgers wrapped in a lettuce leaf, or a sweet potato pancake, or between eggplant slices, or worse one yet, between Portabella mushroom caps - yuck! No, no, no, and HELL NO!

I also do not jive with Whole30's food swap judgement. Why is it ok to make "rice" out of cauliflower but not "bread" out of non-grain ingredients? Seems a bit hypocritical if you ask me. 

So for me and my sanity, as well as my husband's sanity for he who would not appreciate any more food-imposed grumpiness out of me, I made the decision to go Paleo. 

But I do owe some gratitude and thanks to Whole30 even if I never do another Whole30 cleanse again: thank you for helping us to eat better and why we should. And even if it's not supposed to be about weight loss, thank you for helping my husband break his plateau. Thanks for the regimen too, we wouldn't have lost the weight without it - paleo bread or not.




No comments:

Post a Comment