Tuesday, March 14, 2017

My Memory Shakes

A few years ago, I saw a TV show about people who compete in memory contests. To prep for the contest, a participant drank blueberry extract and claimed this improved his memory. I found blueberry extract in a local health food store, but to be honest, it was pretty blah. I don't think I drank more than two bottles.

But I never forgot (haha!) that young man on the TV show with the amazing memory. I wanted to learn more about how blueberries help memory and in just googling the simple term "blueberries memory" the first hit was on a scientific study which is free access (some you have to pay to access) "Blueberry Supplementation Improves Memory in Older Adults". The median age in the study was 76 and not only did the study subjects experience an improvement in their memory, but the blueberries also seemed to lessen depression. 

I decided to improve a way to ingest this blah-tasting juice and keep it clean. I came up with what I call "Memory Shakes". I buy organic blueberries at either Food Maxx, or when it's open and has blueberries, at the Modesto Certified Farmer's Market. I wash the blueberries and then freeze them. The juice is $4.99 at Sprouts and is R.W. Knudsen's brand "Just Blueberry". The banana provides the sweetness for the shake, but if you need it sweeter, I'd recommend adding a little agave nectar. (But agave is not considered "clean eating" so perhaps try adding a really ripe banana before you try agave.)

Memory Shake
Fill 1/8 of a blender with crushed ice

Add one peeled banana
Add a handful of frozen blueberries
Add about 1 cup of "Just Blueberry" juice
Pour in unsweetened almond milk to desired consistency
(If you wish the shake to be thicker, add more ice)
And if you'd like to satiate your appetite add a tsp or 2 of pectin 


No comments:

Post a Comment